[HTTPS-Everywhere] Draft specification for file used to check for ruleset updates

Red redwire at riseup.net
Tue May 20 15:00:32 PDT 2014

Hello,
I have been working on documenting a specification of the update.json
file that will be used to provide information about the ruleset library
released by eff.org.  Yan and I discussed some of the details regarding
what kind of information this file will supply, how it will be
retrieved, and how HTTPS Everywhere can check whether there is an update
to the library of rulesets released available as well as verify the
signature and hash of the database file containing the ruleset library.

I've written my draft of the (hopefully not overly) simple specification
for the contents of the update file and briefly explained how it will be
used.  I posted the draft as a Gist on Github for anyone to read and
comment on publicly: https://gist.github.com/redwire/2e1d8377ea58e43edb40
Let me know if there is anything any of you feel should be better
explained or modified.

Cheers,
Zack