[HTTPS-Everywhere] release date

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Mon May 19 15:55:40 PDT 2014

On 05/19/2014 03:42 PM, 810d4rk wrote:
> When will version 4 be finally released?
>
> It should had been released on April yet here we are almost 2 months later
> and nothing...

Great question; here's an update.

I originally planned to release the current state of the development
branch at the end of April as 4.0stable. As an intermediate step, I
released 3.5 - which was the same as the development branch but with a
much smaller ruleset library. Namely, I used Claudio's
alexa-ruleset-checker script to only pick the ruleset changes from
development into stable that affected sites in the Alexa Top 1000.

The reasoning behind doing so was that rules affecting the Alexa Top
1000 should be well-tested by now, even in development, because users
tend to visit them more often.

However, immediately following 3.5's release, there was a flood of bug
reports on well-visited sites, including Pinterest, Tumblr, Twitch, and
BBC. Almost all of them were due to ruleset differences between the
stable branch and development branch. (The bugs were fixed in 3.5.1 by
reverting the problematic rules back to their 3.4.x state.)

My conclusion from this experiment is that releasing the *entire*
development ruleset library to the stable channel at once would cause a
ton of breakage, simply because we don't have enough testers on the
development branch to catch non-obvious bugs. I suspect we lost some
users already from the poor experience that they had in 3.5. :(

So my plan is to say that the next stable release is going to be
4.0stable; it will just be 3.5.1 with some minor bug fixes. Once that is
done, I will start merging rules into development (5.0dev).

BTW, there will be a development release later this week (4.0dev.17).

Thanks,
Yan