[HTTPS-Everywhere] Draft specification for file used to check for ruleset updates

Red redwire at riseup.net
Tue Jun 17 11:18:50 PDT 2014

I have recently been working on updating the ruleset updater spec to
reflect the changes that Yan and I discussed during our meeting last
Friday (notes at
https://gist.github.com/redwire/b62f03905a826e79947a#week-5), so I
wanted to inform everyone of the changes.  If anyone would like to have
a look over the document, I'd be happy to receive any suggestions for
improvements.
https://gist.github.com/redwire/2e1d8377ea58e43edb40

Another thing I want to report is that I have finished updating the
utility script I have also been working on to automate most of the
process of building the update.json file.  One thing I have added into
it is a simple mechanism for creating and applying sanity checks to
input values.  One such test is the "valid_eff_url" function I wrote
that attempts to match the provided source (directing the extension to
the location of the ruleset database file) to a valid eff.org URL
(ending with .sqlite).  I wrote the regular expression here specifically
to be exactly the same as what would be used to repeat this sanity check
in the update mechanism itself.  I have tested the regex in both Python
and Javascript and found it behaves the same in Javascript and Python,
but as Yan suggested, it seems obvious that several others should review
this regex to be sure.  Here is a direct link to the beginning of the
function.
https://github.com/redwire/https-everywhere/blob/makeJSONManifest/utils/ruleset_update_manifest.py#L58

Cheers,
Zack