[HTTPS-Everywhere] Draft specification for file used to check for ruleset updates

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Thu Jun 12 11:55:04 PDT 2014

On 06/12/2014 08:05 AM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:
> One thing I've been meaning to follow up on: The spec currently says "
> The ruleset database will be served as a ZIP file." I mentioned that
> similar compression. Yan's objection was that this could enable the
> BREACH attack. However, the BREACH attack only applies when there is
> both user-controllable content and secret content returned from a given
> URL. The ruleset database has neither.

My concern wasn't compromising the confidentiality of the ruleset file
(it's fairly public anyway) due to BREACH, but rather that Tor Browser
users will soon have a convenient way to disable gzip by default in the
browser. Assuming there is no fallback-to-uncompressed option set up on
the server, this would initially prevent them from auto-updating.

But it turns out this concern is probably moot, because we serve
https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-update-2048.rdf with
content-encoding: gzip anyway.

-Yan