[HTTPS-Everywhere] Draft specification for file used to check for ruleset updates

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Tue Jun 10 13:57:19 PDT 2014

On 06/10/2014 01:40 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews wrote:
>     How about just sticking to the format we have now for update.json and
>     going with the decision to serve multiple versions from different URLs
>     depending on the release type?
>

> This sounds good to me. Yan, sound good to you?

Sounds good, though I think we still need to deal with Jacob's point
that JSON-to-string conversion is non-deterministic!

Originally I had proposed something like verifying the signature over
the string produced by
JSON.stringify(JSON.parse(req.responseText).update) but apparently
JSON.stringify won't reliably preserve ordering of the object properties?

So perhaps GPG-clearsigning the update file, verifying the signature,
and then parsing the JSON in the update file is the simplest thing. I'm
not sure extensions support GPG signature formats; will leave it up to
Zack to figure out the details there and add them to the spec.