[HTTPS-Everywhere] Draft specification for file used to check for ruleset updates

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Mon Jun 9 09:57:39 PDT 2014

On 06/09/2014 09:50 AM, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Yan Zhu writes:
>
>> Wouldn't this also be solved by making the ruleset versions sub-versions
>> of the releases?
>>
>> ex: 4.0development.16.0 == first ruleset release corresponding to
>> 4.0development.16
>
> Does that mean that you can't update to a new ruleset release without
> first updating to the corresponding extension release version?

We decided in IRC last week that this would be the desired default behavior.

In general, it would be difficult to guarantee that a new ruleset
version is compatible with *all* previous extension versions. Ex: we
introduce a new XML property, "hasKeyPins", or change the XML ruleset
structure in a way that is not backwards-compatible past the previous
extension release.