[HTTPS-Everywhere] Startup time measurements in Chrome and Firefox

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Jan 17 20:56:55 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:43:47PM -0800, Peter Eckersley wrote:

> Calling potentiallyApplicableRulesets() with 10000 domains
> 1088 hits: average call to potentiallyApplicableRulesets took 0.157 milliseconds
> 1088 hits: average subsequent call to potentiallyApplicableRulesets took 0.0513 milliseconds

> Along the way I noticed the very weird phenomenon that unless I prepend
> "www." to the test domains I only get a handful of hits, more like 20
> than 1088.  This makes me think that either there are lots and lots of
> rulesets that target *.example.com and not example.com, or there's a bug
> in the sqlite patch somewhere...

Looks like a bug in the sqlite patch.  Here's what I got when I ran
the same test function in the master branch:

Processing https://www.eff.org/files/alexa-top-10000-global.txt
Calling potentiallyApplicableRulesets() with 10000 domains
1375 hits: average call to potentiallyApplicableRulesets took 0.0409 milliseconds
1375 hits: average subsequent call to potentiallyApplicableRulesets took 0.0393 milliseconds

That's with the same ruleset library, so the number of hits should be
the same.

If I run the test in master without the "www." prefixes, I get 1161
hits; in the sqlite branch it's only 68.  So I suspect a fencepost error
or similar...

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131