[HTTPS-Everywhere] Startup time measurements in Chrome and Firefox

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Jan 17 18:56:22 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 02:33:19AM +0000, Claudio Moretti wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org>wrote:
>
> > I still believe it is easier for humans to actually write rules in XML
> > rather than JSON, though.
> >

> Agreed, but there might be a workaround: Since rules are bundled in the
> default.rulesets file when ./makexpi.sh is run, it may be possible to edit
> ./utils/merge-rulesets.py (it's more "replace" than "edit", actually) to
> translate the rules in JSON before bundling them.
>
> I don't have the skills to do that, but someone here might, and it could
> solve both problems.
>
> What do you think?

Yes, we would definitely do something like that in any case.
Ironically, merge-rulesets.py is not the starting place to look at (it's
a horrible and shameful hack because I was in too much of a hurry to
translate those regexps from our previous shell script into anything
saner), but there are a bunch of other scripts in utils/ that actually
parse the XML in python for various purposes.

This is what Jacob is doing in his patch, too:

https://github.com/jsha/https-everywhere/blob/sqlite/utils/make-sqlite.py

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131