[HTTPS-Everywhere] Startup time measurements in Chrome and Firefox

Jacob Hoffman-Andrews jsha at newview.org
Fri Jan 17 17:18:10 PST 2014

> It's suspicious to me that the parser is almost exactly twice as fast in
> Chrome as it is in Firefox.  But either way, Mike and I are hacking
> today on a way to fix these problematic slowdowns at browser load time.

You might be interested in the SQLite branch I emailed about last week. I
think it's in
pretty good shape, so I made a pull request:

https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/pull/90/files

This speeds up Firefox load time dramatically. The main issue is that we
hit the DB
synchronously on some resource loads. But we only do this once per target
per
browser lifetime, and only when we know there is a rule for that target.

Also you might be interested in this issue: "HTTPSRules.init gets called
three times during Firefox startup."

https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues/84