[HTTPS-Everywhere] persistent user-generated rules

Drake, Brian brian at drakefamily.tk
Thu Jan 16 16:56:22 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 1828 (UTC), Claudio Moretti
<flyingstar16 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 0310 (UTC), Drake, Brian <brian at drakefamily.tk>wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>

> I guess those are valid points. To address the issue of reading the
>> e-mails, I will quote from Yan [1]:
>>
>> You'd have to make it very very clear to the user that they are
>>> disclosing their IP address and what website they were visiting by sending
>>> a rule to the server.
>>>

>> To address both reading and writing, I will quote from “How to Deploy
>> HTTPS Correctly” [2]:
>>
>>> HTTPS provides the baseline of safety for web application users, and
>>> there is no performance- or cost-based reason to stick with HTTP. Web
>>> application providers undermine their business models when, by continuing
>>> to use HTTP, they enable a wide range of attackers anywhere on the internet
>>> to compromise users' information.
>>>

>> If HTTP is not acceptable in web applications, regardless of what
>> information is being transferred through them, then shouldn’t non-secure
>> e-mail (which in practice seems to be virtually all e-mail) be equally
>> unacceptable?
>>

> My point is that we're talking about two completely different technologies:
>
> HTTP websites are insecure by nature, but you _visit_ them, so you may be
> unaware that they are recording your visit (HTTPS can't deal with this, of
> course) or that there's a third party that sniffs your traffic (and here
> HTTPS comes in handy).
>
> When you send an email, you are _aware_ that you are disclosing personal
> information, at least you email address. If you have something to hide, you
> can _decide_ not to send an email, but you can't decide what a webserver is
> going to store or if somebody is looking at your traffic.
>
> So you can't relate emails and HTTP in terms of privacy, because they have
> two completely different scopes.

Are you aware that you’re disclosing your e-mail address? Probably, though
not necessarily. What about other information? [1] Perhaps I’m being
unreasonably picky here.

Relating e-mails and HTTP in terms of third parties sniffing the traffic
still seems valid.

I believe there is, it should be SpamAssassin (just guessing), and also
> remember that you can only send an email to the list if you are subscribed
> to it. If you're not subscribed, your message doesn't go through unless
> approved.

I was not aware that the sender needs to be a subscriber or the message
needs to be approved. It makes a lot more sense now!

> To try to address the fingerprinting concerns, we could try to check the
>>> rulesets against what others see. We could do, for rulesets, what people
>>> already do for certificates:
>>> - centralised approach: SSL Observatory
>>>

>>  Cool, but needs maintenance and as Yan said the EFF tech staff is
>>> already overloaded
>>>

>> I’m not expecting the EFF to implement this (at least for now), but
>> hopefully someone else out there has the time and the knowledge to do it.
>>

> The problem here is privacy concerns: how could we guarantee that the
> third party respects EFF rules regarding privacy matters? It's a really
> complicated topic...

Luckily, we’re open about everything and allow users to change the rules
themselves, so this probably shouldn’t be a priority for us.

>  - distributed approach: Perspectives [1] – this should have a custom
>>>

>>> Also really cool, but rules change faster than SSL certificates, so I'm
>>> not really sure how this approach could be implemented effectively.
>>> Remember that we are also focusing on speed, so the overhead caused by
>>> checking rules against notaries every time you open a website might be a
>>> little too much, and it may prove to be far less useful than checking SSL
>>> certificates.
>>>

>> I agree, checking every time you access a website makes sense for
>> certificates but not for rulesets. I was thinking of doing it every time
>> the rulesets are updated, which I’m guessing would be once a day, but I’m
>> not familiar with update mechanisms like this.
>>

> For 10000+ rules it might be difficult. Even if you enable it only against
> newly added rules, first-time HTTPS-E users would have to wait a really
> long time to get all the rulesets checked the first time, and they might be
> discouraged in using the extension.
>
> Maybe trying to find a way to check hashes? Still complicated and very
> expensive in terms of computational power, but still a little better..
> Benchmarks could be really useful, or we might leave it disabled by default
> and add a warning that says "if you enable this, it's probably going to
> kill you internet speed until it's finished, which depending on your ISP
> might take anything between 1 hour and 1 decade" :P

It seems very unlikely that users would choose 10000+ ruleset sources,
though. I imagined a much smaller number of ruleset sources (each of which
provides a single piece of data containing many rulesets), each of which
was verified using a hash.

If an update to a ruleset source is so recent that it’s too hard to verify
that hash against others’ observations, then keep using an old version
until more observations become available.

Anyway, like I said above, I can see why this shouldn’t be a priority for
us.

Cheers,

> Claudio

[1] https://support.google.com/mail/answer/26903

(note: I removed John from the CC list because this doesn’t seem to relate
to the topic of John’s message. I don’t know what the accepted behaviour is
in this regard.)

--
Brian Drake

All content created by me: