[HTTPS-Everywhere] persistent user-generated rules

Drake, Brian brian at drakefamily.tk
Mon Jan 13 06:31:07 PST 2014

I’m just throwing some ideas out there; I’m not in a position to implement
anything like this now:

2. Better way to upload rules

E-mail is (mostly) not secure in any sense. Other people can read it,
change it, and see who you are. It really seems like a bad thing, even
though we seem to be stuck with it.

With the POST idea, you would be using Tor if it’s available, right? On the
server side, you could do some basic validation on the rules when they are
submitted; wouldn’t that make it hard to use this system for spam
distribution or file storage? It would be nice if everyone could write and
everyone could read.

3. Decoupling rules

It seems like a no-brainer to me. Not just because of Adblock Plus, but
because it reminds me of separating style from content (eg CSS from HTML).
And you could argue that we’re almost at the point of having them decoupled
anyway.

To try to address the fingerprinting concerns, we could try to check the
rulesets against what others see. We could do, for rulesets, what people
already do for certificates:
- centralised approach: SSL Observatory
- distributed approach: Perspectives [1] – this should have a custom notary
list, of course

And all of this should also be done over Tor if it’s available.

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/perspectives/

--
Brian Drake

All content created by me: