[HTTPS-Everywhere] persistent user-generated rules

Yan Zhu yan at eff.org
Sat Jan 4 21:09:01 PST 2014

On 01/04/2014 08:40 PM, Vijay P wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Vijay P <vijayp at qwsrt.com
> <mailto:vijayp at qwsrt.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm a huge fan of the EFF and  HTTPS Everywhere extension!
>
> The one feature I felt it really needed was the ability for users
> to add arbitrary rules, and to have those rules persistent across
> restarts, and the ability for the users to submit rules to the EFF
> so that the extension can be updated more frequently.
>
> I've put together a change that is a partial implementation of
> this feature, you can build it by checking out my branch below. I'd
> love comments and/or suggestions before I go too far down the path
> of implementation. Stuff in "what's missing" still has to be
> implemented, but it should be functional as is.

Thanks! This is a great idea that some people have requested. I'll
check it out next week along with Jacob's feature.

> What it does: - enables the httpseverywhere action icon thing on
> _all_ https pages - when on an https page, allows you to create a
> rule for that host. It pre-fills the matching regex and redirect-to
> fields with sane defaults.
>

> What's missing: - cookie rules, and exceptions are unimplemented -
> you can't edit or delete rules (but disabling them works). - there
> is no way to upload these rules (not sure how you guys want to
> handle that; I'd probably use a GAE endpoint, but you guys might
> have thoughts about this)

I wouldn't worry about this for now, since people who really want to
submit rules can do so by email or pull requests. :)

> Future work? - my changelist uses java objects
>
> Uh, I (obviously) meant javascript objects

Phew, my heart stopped for a second there!

> to send and persist rules on the extension. Perhaps we should
> change the XML structure to using JSON and match the object format
> used by user rules at some point? Jacob Hoffman-Andrews (we used to
> work together at Google a long time ago) mentioned that there was
> discussion on this list about this topic before I joined, and I'd
> be happy to help with that if people would find it useful.

This is indeed something that we've been talking about more and more
as ruleset loading/processing gets slower. I will very happily review
any pull requests to change the XML ruleset structure to JSON! Perhaps
convert all the existing rules to JSON first and check whether there's
a noticeable performance improvement from doing so?

Another possibility is to convert default.rulesets into a sqlite
database, which we can work with using the web SQL API's in Chrome or
Mozilla's storage API's in Firefox
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Storage). Feel free to play
with that idea.

- -Yan