[HTTPS-Everywhere] persistent user-generated rules

Vijay P vijayp at qwsrt.com
Sat Jan 4 20:39:39 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm a huge fan of the EFF and  HTTPS Everywhere extension!

The one feature I felt it really needed was the ability for users to add
arbitrary rules, and to have those rules persistent across restarts, and
the ability for the users to submit rules to the EFF so that the extension
can be updated more frequently.

I've put together a change that is a partial implementation of this
feature, you can build it by checking out my branch below. I'd love
comments and/or suggestions before I go too far down the path of
implementation. Stuff in "what's missing" still has to be implemented, but
it should be functional as is.

What it does:
- enables the httpseverywhere action icon thing on _all_ https pages
- when on an https page, allows you to create a rule for that host. It
pre-fills the matching regex and redirect-to fields with sane defaults.

What's missing:
- cookie rules, and exceptions are unimplemented
- you can't edit or delete rules (but disabling them works).
- there is no way to upload these rules (not sure how you guys want to
handle that; I'd probably use a GAE endpoint, but you guys might have
thoughts about this)

Future work?
- my changelist uses java objects to send and persist rules on the
extension. Perhaps we should change the XML structure to using JSON and
match the object format used by user rules at some point? Jacob
Hoffman-Andrews (we used to work together at Google a long time ago)
mentioned that there was discussion on this list about this topic before I
joined, and I'd be happy to help with that if people would find it useful.

https://github.com/vijayp/https-everywhere/compare/vijayp.add-persistent-user-rules
--
Vijay Pandurangan
vijayp at vijayp.ca