[HTTPS-Everywhere] Rules not loaded until website is visited

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 14:10:59 PST 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <jsha at newview.org>wrote:

> I can work on this fix. A question: What do you think of having text
> in the list area that says "type a domain to search for," and showing
> only the rulesets whose targets match the query? Now that we have 10k+
> rules, displaying them all in a list doesn't make as much sense.

Agreed. I actually thought about it when I saw no rules loaded. I was like
"Oh, they did this. I'll just start typing" and then nothing happened.

It might be the best idea: am I correct in believing you were thinking
about loading the list only when requested? Meaning that we query the list
directly in the sqlite DB when somebody is using the "Enable/disable" menu?

In any case, seems great to me! (And it helps scalability)

> A user who really wanted to see the whole list could type "."

This might be obvious to us, but not to the end user.
How about a "Show all rules" link? It should only do a "SELECT * FROM
<tblRules>" (I can't remember the table name, bear with me here).

The only "catch" I see is (again) about user-generated rules in the profile
folder. If they're loaded in the sqlite every time FF starts, no problem,
but if they're queried directly from the folder, it might be a problem.

I have no clue whatsoever regarding the approach to this. I believe you
amended the code in the past by reintroducing the part where HTTPS-E
fetches XML rules from the profile folder; querying the sqlite DB might not
be enough if that's the case.

Just as a random, totally "i have no idea how it's done" proposal: is it
possible to merge (note: merge, not add) rules from the profile folder in
the sqlite?
I used the word "merge" because (sorry if I'm being obvious here) it's
necessary to identify if a rule is changed before adding it to the sqlite.
In this particular case, merge (for me) means: "remove all rules named like
the ones in the folder and then add them back in the sqlite db using the
version from the folder".

Which, of course, poses the problem: "what if the rule has the same name
as, say, Google.com.xml"?

To which the only solution I can find is naming the user generated rules in
the sqlite DB as "UserGenRule-<FileName>.xml" or something like that.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Claudio