[HTTPS-Everywhere] Proposal: ruleset maintainers and test URLs

Maxim Nazarenko nz.phone at mail.ru
Tue Aug 19 04:40:02 PDT 2014

<offtopic>
I'd argue that HTTPS Everywhere main purpose is BOTH redirect from http to
https for sited not doing that server-side and prevent downgrade attack.
Ultimately, the extension is a crutch, site operators can and should deploy
redirection and HSTS with preloaded lists, but...
</offtopic>

More on topic, I don't think automatically disabling rules is a good idea.
When a break is detected during CI tests, the rule maintainer is notified,
and then it is up to him to take measures. When something breaks for an
end-user, one can always disable the rule. I don't think we should make
security vs usability tradeoffs instead of end users.

My suggestion was more like "Press here to report a broken rule" button,
i.e. a way for end users to notify the rule maintainer. Optionally, we may
ask for additional details such as URL being accessed etc, that must be
opt-in naturally. Using Tor for reports is a good idea, and we employ
captcha if spam becomes a problem.

Best regards,
Maxim Nazarenko