[HTTPS-Everywhere] RELAX NG vs trivial-validate?

Jacob S Hoffman-Andrews jsha at eff.org
Mon Aug 18 10:02:08 PDT 2014

I've been tweaking trivial-validate.py and noticed that we also do
validation using RELAX NG, and XML schema that allows you to specify
the format of other XML docs. Is there a distinction between which
validations we express in RELAX NG vs which ones we express in
trivial-validate.py? For instance, many of the validations in
trivial-validate.py can be expressed using RELAX NG's pattern
facility. It would be a little bit nice to consolidate on one or the
other to speed up the makexpi process.

Also, out of curiosity, why does the set of valid parameters for a
target host include ä and ö, but not the full range of URL-valid
Unicode characters?

     <oneOrMore>

       <element name="target">

         <attribute name="host">

           <data type="string">

             <param name="pattern">(([A-Za-z0-9äö-]+|\*)\.)*([A-Za-z0-9äö-]+|\*)</param>

           </data>

         </attribute>

       </element>

     </oneOrMore>