[HTTPS-Everywhere] [GSoC] Progress Report

Red redwire at riseup.net
Thu Aug 14 14:03:30 PDT 2014

Hello again!

I have some good news- something I'm kicking myself for not noticing,
but good news all the same.
I just realized that in the process of converting escaped hex values in
the string produced by hashing `rulesets.sqlite` in my
`ruleset_update_manifest.py` utility script, prefixing 0s were being
left out. That is to say that, in a string such as "0x0n" (where n in
0-9,A-F), the resulting string is "n", where it should be "0n". After
fixing this problem and rerunning the script to create a new
`update.json` file, I found the hash of `rulesets.sqlite` the script
produced is indeed the same as the one being computed in the ruleset
updater. This means there's no problem in dealing with the binary data
downloaded by the extension.

There is still, however, the problem of updating the database file used
by the extension.  As I anticipated, trying to drop the existing data
with the following line of code:

  mainDB.createStatement("drop table rulesets").execute();

leads to the following error:

NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED: Component returned failure code: 0x8052000e
(NS_ERROR_FILE_IS_LOCKED) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]

I'm hoping to be able to work around this by moving the rulesets
database file used in the extension, but this proved problematic the
last time I tried.

Cheers,
Zack