[HTTPS-Everywhere] Replacing the rulesets database file

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Aug 11 10:36:08 PDT 2014

Red:
> The other problem is that the binary nature of rulesets.sqlite is
> problematic for XHRs. When the file was fetched with a simple XHR, the
> contents terminated after the SQLite version information at the
> beginning of the file. When I asked in #extdev on mozilla's IRC network,
> I was told I would have more luck downloading such a file using the
> Downloads.jsm module, which you can see I started using in this commit:
> https://github.com/redwire/https-everywhere/commit/92c765861cbf8a31c99507979ddee674b86b1e3d

The SQLite database was introduced for performance reason. As users
expect an update process to take time, how about downloading the rules
in text format and loading them in the database as part of the process?

This would also pave the way for multiple update channels. (“Hey, wanna
help HTTPS Everywhere? Subscribe to the alpha channels and report
anything wrong.”)

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>