[HTTPS-Everywhere] more rules mean more time

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 7 21:07:18 PST 2013

I think this is a great project, and I use the extension in Firefox without
hesitation. Even so, at the risk of incurring great wrath, I would like to
ask a practical question or two. Does the browser get slowed down by more
and more sets of rules getting added to this extension? Is there not a point
of diminishing returns? Why would it not be preferable to have an ad hoc
approach such as one that "on the fly" determines whether another SSL
website exists and then simply have the browser switch to it and right that
rule into "this" browser since it would, in all likelihood, be one to which
"this user" returns at some time, instead of pushing these rules off into
every browser be default? No doubt I am overlooking some important
consideration, but it seems curious to me nevertheless.

John A. Wallace

The pen is mightier than the sword, but only if you get in the first stroke.