[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS-Everywhere 3.1.2 crashing Firefox on Ubuntu?

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Jan 4 12:17:48 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 11:27:34PM -0800, Rich Wales wrote:

> > OK, the LogLevel value was 5 (apparently the default?), but I've changed it to
> 3, and I'm seeing lots more output now.  I'll let everyone know the next time
> I get a crash.
>
> (/*Lowering*/ the LogLevel creates /*more*/ output???)

It's a threshhold value.

Setting it lower gives you "deeper" logs :)

> > /Also, can you tell us what other extensions you're running?  If there are lots, can you separately try running the same test with a different Firefox profile (ie run firefox with -P -no-remote)?/
>
> I'm running the following extensions:
>
>     Adblock Plus 2.2.1
>     Add-on Compatibility Reporter 2.0
>     ColorZilla 2.8
>     CsFire 1.0.8
>     Download Statusbar 0.9.10
>     Ghostery 2.8.3
>     Global Menu Bar Integration 3.6.4
>     HTTPS-Everywhere 3.1.2
>     LastPass 2.0.0
>     PageRank for Firefox 1.1.1
>     PDF Viewer 0.7.1
>     Session Manager 0.7.9.2
>     Tab Mix Plus 0.4.0.3.1
>     Test Pilot 1.2.2
>     Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 2.6
>     WorldIP 2.2.0
>     WOT 20120926

It's possible that we're either looking at an incompatibility issue causing a
memory leak, or simply a memory leak in one of these other extensions plus an
unrelated, less-serious bug causing the error message.  Let's see how we go
with the verbose logs before trying to play the bisection game with all of
those extensions.

> I've got a bunch of other old extensions that are marked as "disabled".  I can
> try actually removing them, though I wonder if this would make any difference;
> any thoughts?

Disabled extensions shouldn't make any difference.

> I'm not familiar with the "-P -no-remote" flags; what would this do?  I am, in

Opens the profile manager, so that you can create an alternative profile to
run in parallel with your regular one.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131