[HTTPS-Everywhere] Maximum number of targets per ruleset?

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Sat Oct 6 08:37:08 PDT 2012

Is there a maximum number of targets per ruleset?  If so, what is that
number and why is there a maximum?

I'm asking because I've bumped into what appears to be a limit of 71
target elements in one of my privately-used rulesets.

I have a ruleset with 71 target elements.  When I added two more target
elements (totalling 73 target elements) to the list of target elements
at the top (prepending two more target elements), the new target
elements failed to match a website I'm using for testing rulesets.  When
I moved those two target elements to their own ruleset (keeping the
ruleset element the same, but changing the name attribute) and restarted
Firefox, the new target elements in their own ruleset worked fine.

To confirm what I had seen, I moved my two target elements back to the
ruleset with 71 other targets, restarted Firefox, and tried them against
a test website and they failed to match again.  Moving the target
elements back to their own ruleset, restarting Firefox, and testing
against the same website worked again.

This suggested to me that there's a maximum number of targets per
ruleset -- 71 -- which strikes me as an odd numeric choice in itself,
but more importantly I'm curious why there would be a maximum number of
targets per ruleset at all.

I didn't notice any mention of a maximum number of targets per ruleset
in extensions/https-everywhere at eff.org/components/https-everywhere.js,
the ChangeLog, or in the HTTPS-everywhere mailing list.

Am I misinterpreting what I'm seeing?  If I've missed some posting or
relevant information along the way, please point me to it.

I'm running 3.0development.8 in Firefox 15.0.1 on GNU/Linux.  This
version appears to be the latest HTTPS-everywhere and latest production
Firefox.