[HTTPS-Everywhere] Developing rules on Google Chrome

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Oct 5 09:53:19 PDT 2012

The most basic customisation is to say that a rule should be disabled on
Google Chrome.  That's commonly the case because of Chrome's mixed content
blocking (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/6975), in which case
you should commit a change like this:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/commitdiff/bba002bb44fd7318893b116eb575d37753f0f4fc

There are two things that are changed there: one is the name of the ruleset
(which needs to change in order to ignore past state about whether the user
had enabled or disabled the rule), and the other is the
platform="mixedcontent" attribute, which means "only use this ruleset if the
browser will load mixed content".

If you really wanted a /different/ ruleset on Firefox and Chrome, you could
have two versions of the ruleset, each with different platform attributes.
More info here:

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/rulesets#platform