[HTTPS-Everywhere] Automatic testing of rules to discover rules that broke (e.g. by site redesign)

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Thu May 17 15:41:02 PDT 2012

Colonel Graff writes:

> Awesome, I had picked off a few as well. I'm glad it's somewhat
> useful. Out of curiousity, where does the platform tag come from or
> has it just been that I need to look at the FAQs more often?

platform is a new mechanism where you can indicate that the rule should
only apply for users of particular web browsers.  The current supported
values are "firefox", "chromium", and "cacert" (= a browser that trusts
CACert as a root).  I don't think there's currently a way for
CACert-trusting users to tell their browsers that yet, though.

If you set platform to a value that a browser does _not_ think applies
to it, the rule should not apply (though I'm not sure how HTTPS Everywhere
displays that fact to users).  So a relatively recent new practice is to
mark rules for CACert-certified sites as platform="cacert" instead of
default_off="CACert".

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/