[HTTPS-Everywhere] "Author not verified" while trying to install "HTTPS Everywhere 2.2" (Firefox 14.0.1, Mac OS X 10.6.8)

Russell Golden niveusluna at niveusluna.org
Tue Aug 28 12:57:55 PDT 2012

Sent to the list because I sent it only to the sender before.

*snip snip*

> Should I go ahead and allow the installation to complete even with the
"Author not verified" message, or should I assume that the extension
Firefox downloaded is not authentic?

This is indeed the real thing, though there are major issues with 2.2 for
fresh installs. 2.2.1 is the newest stable version and works fine.

I believe it says "author not verified" for any extension that isn't
signed. HTTPS Everywhere is not signed.

*la snip*

> Are there alternative ways of confirming the authenticity of the
downloaded "Https Everywhere" extension along the lines of an MD5 check-sum
or something?

Not that I have seen, and I can't find anything on the EFF website. Adding
an md5 or sha1 to check against would be a nice addition.

You're in luck, though. I just downloaded 2.2.1 from the site (
https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-2.2.1.xpi ) and ran md5sum on
it. I got f10f388352805f0ba2e9969968b22f1e. Since I put this into Fedora
Linux's packaging system shortly after release, and the checksums match, I
can verify that this is correct.

Hope the extension helps you. If you find any problems with the rules,
please send an email to the https-everywhere-rules list.

Correction: the update process is signed. The extension itself is not.

Added: Dammit. I give up. Why does gmail default to replying to the sender
instead of the list? It doesn't do this with other mailing lists, why this
one? First, my reply goes only to the sender. Then my correction goes to
the rules list because the new gmail app for android assumes that, when I
select "https-everywhere at eff.org" from the list of suggestions, I actually
want the rules list. I have to type in the whole darn address to get it
right. Rant rant, rave rave, angry gesture, etc.

*goes off to calm down*