[HTTPS-Everywhere] Chrome 2012-08-15/16 released

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Aug 17 15:28:29 PDT 2012

We also have two new Chrome releases:

https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-chrome-2012.8.16.crx

Many of you will have noticed that Chrome/Chromium version 21 has made it very
difficult to install .crx files from anywhere other than the Chrome Web Store
(it's still possible; you need to download the extension and then figure out
how to drag-and-drop it into a chrome://extensions tab)

In theory Google has whitelisted EFF in the Chrome Web Store so that we can
upload HTTPS Everywhere without giving Google our private signing key (which
is what they're required of all other extension authors to date, but we
weren't willing or able to give them our private key).  However this
whitelisting doesn't seem to be working yet, so you can't install HTTPS
Everywhere from the Chrome Web Store yet.

We aren't doing auto-updates to these new chrome releases yet, because we
haven't tested and confirmed that life will be sane with updates handled by
the Web Store yet.

chrome-2012.8.16
  * The "exponential bifurcation" alpha
  * Change the update URI to the specific http:// one blessed by the Chrome
    Web Store (they tell us that, despite appearances, the request will actually
    be https)

chrome-2012.8.15
  * The "Happiness in the Cloud" Alpha
  * We still suffer from the horrible Appcache bug, so this is still an alpha:
  * Enslave ourselves to the Chrome Web Store, because Google has made it
    very tricky to install .crx files in Chrome version 21
  * Do a better job of displaying the context menu, especially for error pages:
    (should be fixed for real this time)
  * Fancier Chrome context menus by Jay Weisskopf
  * Fixes: OpenStreetMap, Okcupid, Yandex, Valve, Atlantic Media, AWS,
           XDA developers, Tumblr, MetaPress, Mixpanel, VideoLAN, JBoss,
           Yourhosting, Pypi, QT, Imgur, Scientific American,
           Chronicle, ISOC, Wikimedia, Xmission, Tumblr, OpenDNS
           Mobygames, Telegraph Media, Dailymotion, RFC-editor, US gov,
           Discogs, Costco, Brightcove, PirateParty, BrownPaperTickets,
  * Improvements: Apple, MIT
  * Disable buggy/broken: ZDNet, Globe and Mail, Malwarebytes, Plenty of Fish,
                          Raymond.CC, Blip.tv, Governo Portugês, adf.ly
                          McAfee :( :( :(

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Technology Projects Director      Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131