[HTTPS-Everywhere] Blekko search engine rewriting search results to point to HTTPS URLs

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Apr 20 15:23:03 PDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 07:18:08PM -0700, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 01:47:19AM -0400, mezzanine at Safe-mail.net wrote:
>
> > Of possible interest, it appears that the Blekko search engine
> > automatically rewrites some of its search results
>
> Indeed, we are. Most of our rewrites come out of the HTTPS Everywhere
> rulesets, thanks! We think this is a way to improve privacy for a lot
> more people than just those who might download a browser
> extension. We've defaulted this feature on in our search engine for a
> long time now.
>
> We have a button people can push to complain when we've broken the web
> for them. We get a few complaints a day, mostly from countries which I
> imagine are pretty enthusiastic at blocking encrypted access to
> naughty websites (like facebook, youtube, etc.) I generally email such
> people and they never reply back: probably most of them don't speak
> English.
>
> I got one a few days ago from someone in the Dominican Republic, who
> pushed the "this link is broken" button 3 times on a YouTube link, and
> once added a comment in Spanish that clearly said that all YouTube
> links were broken. The link worked for me. He also didn't respond to
> my email with an attempt at Spanish, but I thought I'd mention it
> here: do you guys have any idea how much breakage is being caused by
> https blocks in various countries?

We do not have this dataset, but I was at a hackathon last weekend where Dan
Kaminksy showed a nifty hack that Blekko /might/ be able to use to collect
this data itself under certain circumstances.  If you embedd a simple image
(such as a favicon, maybe with a query parameter to prevent caching) from a
site, you can use CSS introspection to see if each copy loaded.  Do this for
http and https in parallel, and you'll spot differential blocking.

There are a couple of arguments against doing this for your users at random:

1. It will cause them to make requests to YouTube/Twitter/Facebook, which
causes some privacy loss (especially if you don't have a way to #scrub the
search terms from the referrer, and if the user has browser link prefetching
disabled)

2. If the user is searching over HTTPS, it will cause a mixed content issue.
But this could be worked-around by only doing it for HTTP users (people who
search Blekko over HTTPS might be using HTTPS Everywhere anyway, which would
mess up the HTTP/HTTPS differential aspect of the test results).

You could also do this test for users when they click "report broken link", or
an ad saying "test your network with Blekko", etc, although your sample size
will be much smaller.