[HTTPS-Everywhere] Distributed Observatory detecting "bad" certificates

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at nic.cz
Wed Oct 12 02:03:24 PDT 2011

I've tried to use the Google Certificate Catalog for crosschecking my DB
of collected certificates. Works fine for checking a few certificates.
Though it's impractical for bulk-checking of millions of certs:

- the Google's DNS server seems to have rate-limiting in place and will
stop responding after just few hundred queries
- when asking with DNSSEC in the bulk queries, I've ocassionally got bad
DNSSEC signature (not sure whether that's some implementation quirk or
something on the wire got mixed up)
- freshness: no one except Google knows when a site scan is going to be
updated. I've got quite a bunch of certs the google catalog does not
know about (e.g. try looking up cert for host 'mail2.gnh.no' which has
currently SHA1 hash 3f84cbf0d4e1d10a3c7fff835290e77fa23bc14f)

I also wrote to Ben Laurie if it would be possible to have the
certificate catalog for download, which would be helpful for SSL
Observatory.

Convergence also has optional Google Certificate Catalog verifier, but
I'm not sure if any Convergence notary is actually using it.

Regards,
   Ondrej Mikle