[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS Everywhere question

Jake Hartz jake3311 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 08:13:34 PDT 2011

Sorry for the late reply...

1. I've tried with the latest version from eff.org (1.0.3) and the latest
development version (2.0development.2) - both have this issue.
2. Yes (even in the development release, everything works fine when the
YouTube rule is disabled)
3. I'm not sure - at first, it doesn't seem to be related, but "the plot
thickens" as you go down the comments.

More info: The Firefox extension I'm working on (MP4
Downloader<http://mp4downloader.mozdev.org/>)
has a feature that finds embedded YouTube videos in web pages and adds the
ability to download them. It sends an XMLHttpRequest to "
http://www.youtube.com/get_video_info?video_id=VIDEO_ID" (in chrome code, so
no cross-domain problems) - the actual code can be found
here<http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/mp4downloader/src/1.3.x/chrome/content/mp4downloader.js?rev=1.99;content-type=text%2Fx-cvsweb-markup;ln=1#l685>(this
is the revision before I changed the request to use HTTPS - and many
other things are pretty buggy, too, but that's because this is still "trunk"
code). This request never seems to go through with the YouTube rule enabled,
but disabling the YouTube rule or changing the request to HTTPS both fix the
problem for me. I will probably just permanently change that request to
HTTPS (but do you know if this might cause any side-effects, since you
probably know YouTube's HTTPS workings better than me?)

I understand if you don't really have any time to look into this.

Thanks a lot,
Jake