[HTTPS-Everywhere] Enabling and disabling all websites with CAcert certificates

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Thu May 12 23:32:53 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 09:15:00PM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> The HTTPS Everywhere distribution includes rules that are turned off
> (have no effect) because the sites that would be affected use
> CACert (and so would produce errors for people using a default Firefox
> install + HTTPS Everywhere).  When people add the CACert root to their
> CA list, they still don't get the benefit of these rules unless they
> manually turn each one on.  The proposal here is to make a more
> convenient way for people to do this.
>
> A more complex thing we could do is create a way for a rule to
> declare a dependency on a CA and have a mechanism where rules are
> enabled (at the start of a browser session) if the CA (if any) on
> which they depend is installed in the browser and the rules have
> never been explicitly disabled by the user.  This might have more
> difficult conceptual and support consequences for the future of the
> extension, though.  (For instance, how do rewrite rules identify
> the CAs on which they depend?)

I think this is a good idea, provided there's a way to inspect the list of
root CAs from inside the extension's code.

It could add a new entity to the ruleset xml format that names a sha1 of a
root certificate that needs to be trusted in order for the rule to be
considered active.

I would take a patch that made all of this work transparently :) The other
option would be for people who are packaging HTTPS Everywhere for platforms
that ship with a CACert root to enable all of those rulesets in their patches.
They should watch out for the stickiness of the default settings, of course.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131