[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS Everywhere and Google Mail/Twitter

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 04:51:35 PDT 2011

Hi,

I use Firefox and HTTPS Everywhere, with the Google APIs, Google
Search, and GoogleServices rulesets selected (which come with the
plug-in). Google Mail uses HTTPS by default, and I'm not sure if HTTPS
Everywhere plays much of a role in enforcing HTTPS when using Gmail.

When I block port 80 using iptables (so blocking HTTP), and start my
browser (so no active HTTP or HTTPS connections originate before
blocking port 80), many HTTPS-enabled websites continue to load and
work, including Google Search. Google Mail and Twitter, however, stop
working: they spend some time trying to load, my firewall indicates
that it is blocking HTTP traffic, and the HTTPS connection fails to be
negotiated. If I block port 80 after an active HTTPS connection has
been initiated for either Google Mail or Twitter, these continue to
work fine.

So: should I be concerned that HTTP necessary for HTTPS connections to
be initiated for certain websites?

O.