[HTTPS-Everywhere] Non-Firefox browser support through proxies

Ian Sullivan ian at churchkey.org
Thu Jun 23 13:33:45 PDT 2011

 <https-everywhere at ...> writes:

> On 05/02/2011 16:05, Christopher Byrd wrote:
> I wrote a general Perl module a few months back which converts URLs to
> their HTTPS-Everywhere equivalent. I then wrote a Squid Proxy redirector
> script which takes advantage of that module. You can get it all here:
>
> https://github.com/mikecardwell/perl-HTTPSEverywhere
>
> I use Squid as a transparent web proxy on my network, so all browsers
> benefit from the HTTPS-Everywhere rulesets.
>
> One thing it doesn't handle is the securecookie tag. I don't think
> there's a way of munging cookies with Squid. Apache can be used as a web
> proxy though so I've been contemplating writing a mod_perl handler for
> it which uses the HTTPS-Everywhere rulesets. That way, I'd be able to
> modify the cookies too.

This is great to hear! I putting together other ideas for privacy enhancing
proxy capabilities for the FreedomBox project, and had just added
HTTPS-Everywhere-like functionality to the list yesterday.
(http://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/router)

We are very interested in how the combination of a transparent web proxy and web
server can be used to do a lot of the functionality at the network level that we
currently rely on browser plugins like HTTPS-Everywhere, TrackMeNot,
CustomizeGoogle, and AdBlockPlus to do at a browser level, as well as helping
manage some of the other revealing information like the browser ID information
highlighted by panoptoclick or the
"?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=" portion of links
generated from rss readers, etc.

Sounds like there might be good work we could do together.

-Ian