[HTTPS-Everywhere] Breaks Facebook Settings

Dan Locks dwlocks at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 6 12:35:22 PST 2011

On 11/25/2010 02:29 PM, Peter Eckersley wrote:
> Oh dear, this is very a troubling bug report.  It looks to me as though
> perhaps Giorgio Maone's new Channel Replacement code broke the redirection
> loop detection system.
>
> In retrospect I should have been testing for this, and perhaps that's a sign
> that we need a test suite of some sort.
>
> I've opened a bug: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2217

I don't know if this is related, but https-everywhere prevents changing
many (most?) facebook privacy preferences, *even if the facebook+ rules
are disabled*.  I'm using .9.2, not the trunk version, and had the
facebook rules disabled because page load performance was terrible with
it on.  Now that I know what's going on, I can disable the extension to
change settings.   However, if I'm not the only one affected, a warning
is in order.  I've no suggestion as to where a good place to put it
would be.   It's rather insidious, because I originally thought "this
can't be https-everywhere, because the rules for facebook are
disabled..." At the very least, it's worth a mention in the FAQ for
facebook chat that prefs are broken while the extension is enabled.

Dan