[HTTPS-Everywhere] Creating a debian package for https everywhere

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Feb 11 09:33:53 PST 2011

Rogério,

Many thanks for working on this!

Here are a few quick observations:

- https everywhere 0.9.9.development.4 does not exist yet, so it seems
  problematic to package it ;).  You could either package 0.9.9.development.3,
  using that .xpi file or git tag, or pick a git-<timestamp> type version
  number if you want to package the very latest thing that's in the master
  repository

- the install.rdf file still has the 0.9.9.development.3 version number, which
  is an incorrect intermediate state from the git repository.  The install.rdf
  version number should be the same as the package's version number.

- I presume that these packages disable automatic updates?   If so, it might
  be safest to package the stable releases rather than the development
  releases, because once something goes out in a stable release of debian, it
  can be around for a long, long time.

- I was going to suggest that alternatively, you could pakcage the development
  branch for debian-volatile.  However, it seems that debian-volatile is going
  away.  Maybe it's okay to package the development branch if debian's
  stable-updates mechanism will allow you to get fixes to rulesets out to
  users in a timely manner.