[HTTPS-Everywhere] Reconsider putting HTTPS Everywhere on addons.mozilla.org - Legal opinions and rant

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Aug 12 11:37:40 PDT 2011

(Removing the -rules list.  Let's not spam everyone).

I'm on the fence at the moment about submitting HTTPS Everywhere 1.x to
addons.mozilla.org

In favour:

 - more people will install the extension
 - the privacy policy there has improved -- log retention there is down from
   "indefinite" to six months

Against:

 - the privacy policy is still not as good as eff.org's
 - the lag time for pushing updates into AMO is ~2 weeks, which means that we
   can't fix bugs quickly.  I also keep seeing AMO addons get disabled because
   Mozilla won't let them declare compatibility with future firefox versions
   early enough.
 - there will be a whole extra path to deal with for publishing and managing updates