[HTTPS-Everywhere] Fwd: Firefox 4

Erik Harris erik at eharrishome.com
Mon Sep 20 14:21:53 PDT 2010

On 9/20/2010 1:09 PM, Colonel Graff wrote:
> I don't work on HTTPS but I know that Ffx 4beta7 has broken a lot of
> plugins with a regression. It has to do with the CDATA tag in the plugin
> source. This may or may not be the issue, but it's my guess. For the
> record, I found out about it here

HTTPS Everywhere has been broken since 4.0 beta 2.  4.0 beta 7 hasn't
been released yet, so a regression affecting extensions isn't really an
issue unless they fail to fix it prior to release.  The current beta is
beta 6, released on Sept 14th.

check that... according to the URL you posted, the regression you
mention has already been fixed, so it will not affect any Firefox beta,
and it's not what caused HTTPS-Everywhere to break in beta 2.

This is actually more of a problem than simply "oh, the extension
doesn't work with a beta version, we'll fix it when 4.0 comes out."
HTTPS-Everywhere 0.2.2 *claims* to work with the Firefox 4.0 betas and
doesn't, whereas plenty of other extensions do not claim to be
compatible but actually do work (using the Add-on Compatibility Reporter
extension, or using one of the various manual hacks to make Firefox
activate old extensions). If an extension claims not to be compatible,
it's no big deal when it doesn't work. When it claims to be compatible,
though, it should work.

I reported this problem in late July on this list, and I've seen a
couple of other people mention it since then, too. Peter said that he or
Mike would fix it the following week, but if they've had time to fix it,
it hasn't made it into a new release yet. :(

--

Erik Harris                               http://www.eHarrisHome.com
-               AIM: KngFuJoe - Yahoo IM: kungfujoe7               -

"The beliefs that you hold the most dear are the ones you should
question the most." - Jay Novella