[HTTPS-Everywhere] ruleset update suggestion: exclude wiktionary

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Fri Sep 17 17:00:33 PDT 2010

Marti Raudsepp writes:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:44, Alexandros Papadopoulos
> <alexandros.papadopoulos at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://www.wiktionary.org takes people to
> > https://secure.wikimedia.org/wiktionary/www/wiki/
>
> Try http://en.wiktionary.org/, works for me...
> Looks like the 'www' subdomain is just an exception that the ruleset
> should handle differently.

You're both right.  There is an HTTPS version of Wiktionary if
you specify the language, but the current behavior if you use
www.wiktionary.org is a bug because the treatment isn't
parallel to the other Wikimedia Foundation wikis.  We can add
an exclusion for that.

But if you're already familiar with the Wikimedia project you
want, you should normally specify the language in the URL,
like pt.wikipedia.org, de.wiktionary.org, es.wikisource.org,
and so on.  HTTPS Everywhere does handle all of those
cases correctly, as far as we know.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107