[HTTPS-Everywhere] Enable/disable toggle in status bar?

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Fri Oct 29 11:52:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:54:11PM -0600, Chris Miller wrote:

> Can anyone think of any arguments against an enable/disable toggle in the
> status bar?  Much like easy xdebug, or firebug.  It could default to always
> enabled for new windows or new sessions.  I'm a long-time developer - fairly
> new to firefox extensions, but I've looked at the source, and I think I
> could pull it off.

Chris, we'd love to recieve a patch to do this!  The way I'd envisioned it is
a little menu in the bottom right (along the lines of NoScript) which lists
every rule that's active on the current page, and gives you an option to
toggle each of them.

Take a look at https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/development for some tips
on how to work with our git repository.

> And an even more wild suggestion...  An exclusion list for certain wifi
> networks.  So far, implementing this seems over my head.  Is it even
> possible for Firefox to ask the OS what it's connected to?  I imagine there
> would be some platform-specific code involved.  I'm familar with the Windows
> API and dot net framework, but I'm not sure how this would tie in to
> Firefox.

I suspect this would require native code, which isn't impossible but would be
a significant addition to the complexity of HTTPS Everywhere.  I think we'd
prefer to work on lobbying sites like Facebook to fix their HTTPS support so
that people can just leave the rules enabled.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131