[HTTPS-Everywhere] Enable/disable toggle in status bar?

Chris Miller criznach at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 09:48:14 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I've been using HTTPS everywhere for a few days in response to the publicity
surrounding firesheep.  It's great, and I like it, but on my laptop there
are times when I don't want it.  At home, for example, I am on a secured
network and I like to use Facebook chat.  At the coffee shop I'd prefer to
have everything encrypted.

Can anyone think of any arguments against an enable/disable toggle in the
status bar?  Much like easy xdebug, or firebug.  It could default to always
enabled for new windows or new sessions.  I'm a long-time developer - fairly
new to firefox extensions, but I've looked at the source, and I think I
could pull it off.

And an even more wild suggestion...  An exclusion list for certain wifi
networks.  So far, implementing this seems over my head.  Is it even
possible for Firefox to ask the OS what it's connected to?  I imagine there
would be some platform-specific code involved.  I'm familar with the Windows
API and dot net framework, but I'm not sure how this would tie in to
Firefox.
Later,

--
  Chris Miller