[HTTPS-Everywhere] new rules: LiveJournal and Dreamwidth

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Thu Oct 28 12:01:28 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:48:22AM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> I put both rules in e-l-r with some small fixes, but they have an
> unusual problem: both rules seem to prevent users from using the
> "normal" functionality of these sites (reading other people's
> journals).  With these rules in place, users can only write in
> their own journals and not read others'.
>
> This loss of site functionality makes me think that these rules
> shouldn't be turned on by default and possibly shouldn't be in
> e-l-r either.

As of 0.2.3.development.1, you can turn rules off by default using this syntax:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/https-everywhere.git/blob/8cf8b4e76893d72ee6ead604e50cdc29a6003533:/src/chrome/content/rules/Amazon-off-by-default.xml

The other option would be to put them in a problematic/ subdirectory in e-l-r
that isn't read by the extension.

Peter Eckersley                            pde at eff.org
Senior Staff Technologist         Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131