[HTTPS-Everywhere] Github rule

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Mon Oct 25 12:37:33 PDT 2010

Eitan Adler writes:

> I attached a rule for securing github's site
>
> --
> Eitan Adler

> <ruleset name="Github">
>   <rule from="^http://(www\.)?github\.com/" to="https://github.com/"/>
> </ruleset>

This rule doesn't work -- GitHub resources in subdirectories don't
support HTTPS.  I know this because I tried

https://github.com/mikecardwell/HTTPS-Everywhere-Rules/commits/my-new-rules

when Mike Cardwell started contributing rules.

See also things like

https://github.com/training

Maybe this is different for logged-in users.  There are several sites
that support or require HTTPS if you're logged in but not if you're an
anonymous user.  However, there may not be a way to make this
distinction on the basis of URLs alone.

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107