[HTTPS-Everywhere] Stupid Perl Tricks: ssl_check2.pl

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Wed Nov 10 18:10:56 PST 2010

Peter Eckersley writes:

> Whizz, this script is great but I'm wondering if it's still somewhat buggy...

The main problem here seems to be the twimg hosts, which do not answer
HTTPS.

>   1    zzz.  HTTPS request timeout.  Added a0.twimg.com to badhosts list.g
>   7    zzz.  HTTPS request timeout.  Added a1.twimg.com to badhosts list.
>   19    zzz.  HTTPS request timeout.  Added a2.twimg.com to badhosts list.
>   25    zzz.  HTTPS request timeout.  Added a3.twimg.com to badhosts list.g

This is to say that ssl_check2.pl is (1) taking an aggressive position
(Chris might just say "a sane position") on mixed content, and (2) relying
on naive URL rewriting (s/http/https/) instead of some kind of magical
external knowledge of how to change URLs to make them work.

It looks like ssl_check2.pl correctly detected that Twitter has a
severe mixed-content problem that can't be fixed automatically. :-(

--
Seth Schoen
Senior Staff Technologist                         schoen at eff.org
Electronic Frontier Foundation                    https://www.eff.org/
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA  94110     +1 415 436 9333 x107