[HTTPS-Everywhere] https-everywhere rule-sets development/upgrade

M W lennny53 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 11:57:02 PDT 2010

To those who work on the project, https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere.
I am currently using https-everywhere-0.2.2.development.1.xpi47.8 KB

I was told: "Send feedback on this project to the https-everywhere AT eff.org mailing list.".
I've written a number of rule-sets which I use for myself and they all seem to be working perfectly (but I haven't been paying any attention to the advice:"While using the rule, check for messages in the Firefox Error Console to
 see if there are any issues with the way the site supports HTTPS."). I use nearly every one of these rule-sets every day. I also thought I would change two of the default rule-sets that came with https-everywhere. I have included these rule-sets in the attached 7z and zip archives, which you can extract using the Free and Open Source "7-Zip File Manager" located at http://www.7-zip.org/ . Could you include these in future releases and give me some feedback (if I have made some mistakes somewhere I would like to know)?

Also the adoption of HTTPS and your extension HTTPS Everywhere, has led to something of a disagreement as to the legality and merits of using HTTPS on wikipedia. Could you read through https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Talk:The_Pirate_Bay#HTTP_vs._HTTPS , and if you so choose, recommend on the wikipedia policy discussion pages that all visitors to wikipedia use HTTPS, both within wikipedia and the external links leading out from wikipedia?

Sincerely grateful for all your hard work,
lennny53 at hotmail.com

P.S. I note that Google and Microsoft both use RC4 128-bit, which Firefox reports to be High-grade encryption, whereupon a quick search through wikipedia shows the opposite to be the case, that RC4 is an easily cracked stream cipher, not like the robust block ciphers of AES or your Camellia. If Firefox is lying to me, can you direct Mozilla Corporation to make the necessary corrections (I doubt Wikipedia is lying, if it were, then anyone could make the corrections)?

P.P.S. Also, just a thought, but since the extension is called https-everywhere, and not https-popular-sites or https-common-sites, then I take it that you intend to write rule-sets for just about every website on the internet. If this is the case, first a thank-you & congratulations on the ambition of your generosity, but the scale of this project makes me think of AdBlock Plus (which I also use) trying to maintain rule-sets for every known website. Would it be helpful at all for you to combine the projects of https-everywhere with AdBlock Plus (if only to increase the popularity, utility and utilization of this great little extension (which I still can not find anywhere on the official Mozilla add-ons page))?

View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a hot date?
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/150855801/direct/01/