[HTTPS-Everywhere] https everywhere and the 4.0b2pre nightly build

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Thu Jul 8 10:20:13 PDT 2010

Hi Brian,

The Firefox 4.0 release is allowed to break backward compatibility, so I guess
we're starting to see that happen :/.

The available debugging techniques are:

0. See if the extension's Preferences dialog renders correctly.  If it
doesn't, that's probably a sign the problem is related to rulefile importation
and parsing.

1. Install the Javascript Debugger Firefox extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/216

Javascript Debugger is the tool of choice for debugging extensions.  In the
"debug" menu, you want to change some of the defaults though: uncheck the
"Exclude Browser Files" option and set "Error Trigger" and "Throw Trigger" to
"Trace".

Run the debugger while trying to use HTTPS EVerywhere and see if you can find
any errors coming from its code.

2. Increase the verbosity of HTTPS Everywhere's logs (change "WARN" to "DBUG"
on line 115 of components/https_everywhere.js.  Logs appear in the "Messages"
section of the Firefox Error console.

3. Add your own debugging log calls to the source code.