[HTTPS-Everywhere] When is appropriate to add rules

Peter Eckersley pde at eff.org
Sat Jul 3 12:31:02 PDT 2010

If a site answers http and https, but every link on the site points to http,
that is a perfect time to add a ruleset.

HTTPS Everywhere catches the requests before they are sent, and replaces the
http with an https.

If you write a ruleset, you can test that it is working comprehensively by
using tools like Live HTTPS Headers (easy) or Wireshark (harder, but probably
more trustworthy).

An example of a site where there is *no* point in adding a ruleset is one
where the site answers every request over HTTPS, but responds with a 302
redirect back to HTTP.  HTTPS Everywhere's loop detection code would prevent
that site from breaking, but there would be a performance cost, and no benefit
would be obtained.