[HTTPS-Everywhere] Adding or removing of “www.”

Drake, Brian brian2 at drakefamily.tk
Wed Dec 29 05:24:43 PST 2010

I have found that both explanations can be true, depending on which site
you’re looking at. Considering the first example, on some sites,
https://www.domain/ redirects to https://domain/ anyway; on some sites, it
returns a certificate error.

Still considering the first example, I’m not saying that HTTPS Everywhere
needs to intercept requests to https://www.domain/ and redirect them to
https://domain/, but that it would often be beneficial. At worst, it would
speed things up a little (assuming the server would have returned a redirect
anyway); at best, it would prevent a cert error.

Yes, HTTPS Everywhere does intercept HTTPS requests, as it should, for the
reasons outlined above. I assume that add-ons hook into all requests the
same way (regardless of scheme), so it’s actually easier for HTTPS
Everywhere to just apply some regex to all requests. In fact, the built-in
Facebook rule implements my suggestion (albeit with more obscure domains),
presumably to avoid cert errors. (I also use it for a slightly different
purpose: redirecting www.facebook.com and login.facebook.com to
ssl.facebook.com, as a subtle way of encouraging the use of EV (Extended
Validation) certificates.)

--
Brian Drake

Alternate (slightly less secure) e-mail: brian at drakefamily.tk
Alternate (old) e-mail: brianriab at gmail.com

Facebook profile: Profile ID
100001669405117<https://ssl.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001669405117>
Twitter username: BrianJDrake <https://twitter.com/BrianJDrake>
Wikimedia project username:
Brianjd<https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/meta/wiki/User:Brianjd>(been
inactive for a while)

All content created by me Copyright © 2010 Brian Drake. All rights reserved.