[HTTPS-Everywhere] Rewriting to data: instead of https: scheme

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Fri Dec 10 10:41:17 PST 2010

On 12/10/2010 10:37 AM, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> In this case, the rule author manually wrote a rule for one particular
> image (that was the only thing causing the mixed content warning): he
> manually downloaded that one image, converted it, and put the entire
> image into an explicit data URI inside the rule!

See, I told you I was missing something.

> However, this didn't work and we don't know why.

Maybe Firefox handles data: URLs at a different (prior?) stage than the
stage at which HTTPS Everywhere runs, and it's too late to handle such
URLs. That is rank speculation on my part, but it seems like the kind of
thing that could happen.

Or, maybe the URL is not encoded correctly. If you feed it to your
browser in the URL bar, does it work?