[HTTPS-Everywhere] HTTPS Everywhere for Chromium

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Wed Dec 1 10:33:48 PST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 4:18 AM, Daniel Lanigan wrote:

> While I do agree in principal, it's just not going to happen yet. I'm working on getting https going for my company's site, rentjungle.com, but I'm having issues with getting the CDN working correctly (I'm not sure it's possible with our current setup).

For my own understanding, can you explain more about your CDN problems? People often raise this concern to me, and I want to know more about the practical difficulties they face. Some CDNs, like Amazon, do offer HTTPS service, so in theory it should be plug and play. For some operators, it is.

Unfortunately, Amazon charges more for HTTPS service. (I am looking into finding out why --- I suspect it's mostly a form of price discrimination and only lightly tied to actual operating costs.)

> However, the real issue lies with smaller sites, especially personal websites running on shared servers. Dreamhost, for instance, requires you to have a unique IP address (and of course, the certificate), which obviously costs more.

Certainly. To address that problem, we have Server Name Indication:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

It's not 100% supported yet, but at least it's there and growing. There are many hurdles before we can live the "there is only one mode, and it is secure" dream. My purpose with this and my previous email is to goad everyone into getting their jumping shoes on so we can start leaping over those hurdles. :)

--
Chris Palmer
Technology Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation