[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Suggested ruleset for new HTTPS site

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Thu Feb 5 10:42:55 PST 2015

Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes:

> I guess both chromium and firefox support the preload list these days,
> so maybe that means it's not necessary?  but it would be a shame for
> someone to take the httpse dataset (e.g. for something like a local
> proxy service) and *not* include things that happened to be in the
> preload list.

In the past I had a script to autogenerate rules from the preload list,
but I think we decided that it was redundant because the browsers we
support now all use that list.  I don't think we've thought about the
effect for folks (maybe like DuckDuckGo?) who use the rulesets for
other purposes.

Maybe we should just annotate the rulesets somehow and say "if you're
using this for rewriting URLs outside of a browser, PLEASE also use the
HSTS preload list for more comprehensive rewriting".

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/