[HTTPS-E Rulesets] From Development to Stable

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 14:16:15 PST 2014

I don't have the time to do it at the moment, but I'll work on it ASAP :)

In particular:

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 3:50 AM, Yan Zhu <yan at eff.org> wrote:

> I'd suggest checking out Python's subprocess module; you can use
> subprocess.call or subprocess.Popen to make simple shell commands
> (like 'git diff') from within a Python script. As an extra
> convenience, you might also want to automatically download the Alexa
> Top 1M csv file from the canonical source so that people don't have to
> look up the URL. The urllib module or just opening a wget subprocess
> would work.

I'll check out both of them! I thought about doing so, but because it was
my first attempt, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible :)

> For unzipping, python has a built-in zip module too.

Will do!

> Also, you should probably close files after you open them once you're
> done. :)

Whoops, didn't  think about that (lol) I'll fix it

> PS: Do you use git? It makes code review like this much easier, as
> well as tracking changes. We use it pretty extensively in HTTPS
> Everywhere, so now would be a good time to learn!

I do, actually, but because it was just a simple file and I was reeeally
tired I didn't want to set everything up :P
I forked HTTPS Everywhere on GitHub, added my "merger.py" to the utils/
folder and renamed it to "alexa-ruleset-checker.py"

You can find everything here:
https://github.com/flyingstar16/https-everywhere

It's _not_ working, meaning that it's the same script with a different name
and location, but as I said I'll work on it as soon as I get the time :)

Cheers,

Claudio