[HTTPS-E Rulesets] Cookies

Drake, Brian brian at drakefamily.tk
Wed Jan 15 02:01:54 PST 2014

How do cookies work? Mozilla claims to follow RFC 6265 [1], which seems to
prohibit domains starting with a dot.

Yet, when I go to icabanken.se using the proposed ICA Banken ruleset [2],
using Firefox or Iceweasel, I get cookies that say “Domain: .icabanken.se”.

I also have an issue with securing cookies with the <securecookie> tag.

Continuing with the ICA Banken example, here is what I observe generally.
The cookies that say “Host: www.icabanken.se” have the Secure flag set. The
cookies that say “Domain: .icabanken.se” do not have the Secure flag set. I
found one exception, where even a cookie limited to www.icabanken.se failed
to be secured.

I observed all this in Firefox 25.0/HTTPS Everywhere 3.4.5 and Iceweasel
17.0.5/HTTPS Everywhere 3.1.4.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web_Development/HTTP_cookies
[2]
https://lists.eff.org/pipermail/https-everywhere-rules/2014-January/001819.html